Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Thoughts on 9/11

On the day of the World Trade Center attacks I was in my seventh-grade history class. Over the intercom we heard our school secretary cancel all after-school sports and activities. We couldn't even imagine under what circumstances they would cancel such a crucial field hockey game, and it wasn't until I went home and saw my mom starring in disbelief at the news that I knew something horrible had happened. I remember being scared and asking her, "Mom, we don't live that far away. Are we going to be safe?" She just looked at me and said, "I could have brought you home early from school, but I had a feeling of peace that everything was going to be alright."
Today, I can't help but think of the lives lost and send prayers to those who are still suffering from this tragedy. My heart goes out to them. I'm grateful for our country and how, instead of cowering in fear, we rose up and grew together as a nation. One's true character shows when times become difficult--we showed the world that we will never be defeated. 

2 comments:

  1. It is important to reflect on important events in our lives. Especially ones that affected all Americans. God Bless America

    ReplyDelete
  2. beautiful post brit. i can't imagine being so close to those tragic events...so glad your sweet mom was blessed with a sense of peace that you guys were going to be okay (and i'm so glad you were!). you're absolutely right, America was, and is, an awesome example of uniting together and becoming stronger after such horrible events that would have easily broken other countries. so grateful to be an America.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...